Superstar swimmer Michael Phelps—the most decorated U.S. Olympian of all time—and his champion swimming peers are calling on Americans to take the Pool Safely Pledge for children’s water safety.
Simply pledge to:
- Designate a water watcher every single time children in your care are in or near the water.
- Make sure your kids know how to swim.
- As a parent or guardian, learn CPR.
- Always remove portable pool ladders when not in use.
- Ensure all permanent pools have a proper fence and gate, and safer drain covers.
Your commitment to children’s water safety can help turn the tide against drowning: the leading cause of unintentional death among children ages 4 and under and the second leading cause of death in children 5 to 14 years old.
Remember: Drownings are 100% preventable. Find out more about what you can do to prevent these accidents and keep kids safe by visiting www.poolsafely.gov, sponsored by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, and get help with pool-safety updates and needs from California pool contractors licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Contractors State License Board: www.cslb.ca.gov.