Suspect something? Contact a licensed veterinarian
Halloween can be scary for humans, but for our pet friends, it can be downright terrifying—and even dangerous. The American Veterinary Medical Association has seven ways you can help make this holiday less spooky for your animals:
- Keep candy away—Never feed your pets Halloween candy: Chocolate, raisins, and sugar-free items containing xylitol are toxic to them.
- Make sure your pet is properly identified—All pets should be microchipped and have collars with ID tags at all times in case of escape.
- Watch those candles—Keep lit candles and jack o’ lanterns out of reach of all pets, including the climbing kind.
- Carefully costume—If you plan to put a costume on your pet, make sure it fits properly and is comfortable, doesn’t have easily chewable pieces, and doesn’t interfere with your pet’s senses or movement. Take time to let your pet get accustomed to any costume and never leave a pet wearing a costume unsupervised.
- Say no to glow—While the material in glow sticks and jewelry isn’t toxic, it tastes terrible and makes pets salivate and act strangely.
- Offer a hiding place—If your pet is wary or tends to bite, put your pet in another room away from any holiday excitement or provide your pet with a safe and secure place to hide.
- Keep pets inside—It’s the safest place for them.
If you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful, is acting in an unusual manner, or is injured, contact a veterinarian licensed by the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Veterinary Medical Board right away; you can check a professional’s license at https://search.dca.ca.gov.