The California State Athletic Commission (Commission/CSAC) is responsible for protecting the health and safety of its licensees: boxers, kickboxers, and other martial arts athletes. Concerned with athlete injuries and death, the public established the Commission by initiative in 1924.
The Commission is responsible for implementation and enforcement of the Federal Muhammad Ali Boxing Reform Act (Federal Boxing Act) and the California Boxing Act or State Athletic Commission Act (State Act). The Commission has four main functions: licensing, enforcement, regulating events, and administering the Professional Boxers’ Pension Fund (Pension Plan).
Specifically, the Commission establishes requirements for licensure, issues and renews licenses, approves and regulates events, assigns ringside officials, investigates complaints received, and enforces applicable laws by issuing fines and suspending or revoking licenses.
The Professional Boxer’s Pension Fund, administered by the Commission, is holding thousands of dollars for certain eligible boxers. For information about the fund and to see if you qualify, visit the Pension Plan Information page on the Commission’s website.
Mission: The California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) regulates professional and amateur boxing, kickboxing and mixed martial arts throughout the State by licensing all participants and supervising the events. The Commission is dedicated to the health, safety and welfare of the participants in regulated competitive sporting events, through ethical and professional service. California is the premier model for the safety and fairness of regulated sporting events.
Vision: California is the premier model for the safety and fairness of regulated combat sporting events.
- Health And Safety: The Commission fosters a safe and healthy environment for participants in regulated combat sporting events.
- Licensing: The Commission is an international leader in promoting licensing standards for participants in regulated combat sporting events.
- Enforcement: The Commission protects consumers by preventing violations and effectively enforcing laws and regulations when violations occur.
- Legislation, Regulation and Policy: The Commission pursues statutes, regulations, policies and procedures that strengthen and support their mandate and mission.
- Organizational Effectiveness: The Commission builds an excellent organization through proper governance, effective leadership and responsible management.
- Pension Plan: The Commission effectively manages the California Professional Boxers Pension Fund.
- Outreach: The Commission proactively communicates its mission, vision and goals to stakeholders
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Join the CSAC Subscriber List
- Educational Videos
- Professional Trainer List
- Expedited Licensure for Refugee Status
- Boxers: Do You Have Money Coming
- Boxeadores: ¿están recibiendo dinero?