Veterans—how would you like to turn your overseas military job into stateside employment?
The Bureau of Security and Investigative Services’ (BSIS’) Veterans Come First Program can help you leverage your transferable military experience and training to meet all or part of the Bureau’s licensing qualifications in these fields:
- Security Guards
- Proprietary Security Officers
- Private Patrol Operators (and qualified managers)
- Private Investigators
- Alarm Company (qualified managers and employees)
- Repossessor (qualified managers and employees)
- Locksmith Operators
- Training Facilities and Firearm and Baton Instructors
Since the program’s inception in 2012, BSIS staff have assisted more than 24,900 active duty and former military personnel through the licensing process. In fiscal year 2016–17, BSIS staff processed 9,081 initial applications.
The program helps put you on the fast track to licensure and employment with the following assistance:
- Direct telephone line, e-mail account, and P.O. Box.
- Staff support through the licensing process.
- Priority in the licensing process.
In addition, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) offers reimbursement for the majority of licensing and certification tests (not licensing fees) administered by the State of California. You will need your DD214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) and military transcripts to get started.
More details about the program and a list of additional resources are available on the BSIS’ Veterans Come First Program web page.