Before signing your marriage license, check a beauty professional’s license
Spring is here, and that means peak wedding season is in full swing. So, if you’re one of many on the hunt for a wedding cosmetologist or barber, the Department of Consumer Affairs’ Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (BBC) reminds consumers that hiring licensed professionals helps ensure you’re in good hands for your big day.
BBC protects Californians by licensing and regulating the state’s barbering and beauty industry in these key categories:
Using a BBC-licensed cosmetology professional for your wedding helps you receive beauty at its best and services that meet state law and safety standards. Here are five reasons why you should hire a BBC-licensed professional:
- Qualification– Licenses are only issued by BBC to qualified applicants who have completed the required training hours and have passed an examination.
- Health and Safety– BBC ensures all licensees and establishments follow required sanitary conditions and precautions to protect both consumers and service providers.
- Licensure– In California, cosmetology services may only be legally performed by state-licensed cosmetologists in state-licensed salons and barbershops.
- Enforcement/Inspections– BBC’s Enforcement Unit upholds laws, rules, and regulations while its Inspection Unit conducts random and targeted health and safety inspections of establishments and schools.
- Regulation – If a problem arises with a licensee or establishment, you can file a complaint so the Board can investigate.
And these tips don’t just apply to wedding season. The Board recommends all consumers to check a professional or establishment’s license whenever you’re booking services.
For more information on California beauty professionals’ education, regulation, and licensure, visit www.barbercosmo.ca.gov; to check a professional’s license anytime, visit https://search.dca.ca.gov.