The California Board of Barbering and Cosmetology (BBC) was established in 1927 and protects and serves consumers in many ways, such as examining and licensing individuals who have met minimum qualifications in education, experience, and examination requirements. BBC also provides a proactive and diligent enforcement program to fight fraud and enforce the laws governing the barbering and beauty industry. This is accomplished by the following:
- Conducting inspections upon licensing establishments, random, unannounced inspections of establishments and practitioners’ workstations, and when notified that potential consumer harm may be present, conducting a directed inspection.
- Collaborating with the Attorney General’s Office and local district attorneys to act against unqualified individuals and unlicensed practitioners.
- Investigating consumer complaints and if found to be viable, actively pursuing disciplinary actions that may include probation, suspension, or revocation of a license, citations and fines, letters of reprimand, or cease-and-desist orders.
In addition, BBC supports and advocates for consumer interests before lawmakers and staff reviews and analyzes proposed legislation and regulation to ensure consumer protection. The agency also provides a prolific outreach and education program that includes: workshops, town hall meetings, instructional videos, consumer fact sheets, industry bulletins, and leveraging social media. Efforts are made to make these instructional materials available in the English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Korean.
Mission: To ensure the health and safety of California consumers by promoting ethical standards and by enforcing the laws of the barbering and beauty industry.
Vision: California sets and enforces the highest level of health and safety standards and provides an environment where consumers obtain barbering, cosmetology, and electrology services with the confidence and security that their health and safety are protected.
- Consumer Protection and Safety
- Customer Service
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion