Triple Digit Record Breaking Temperatures Expected Through Friday
A record-breaking heat wave continues to cause stress on California’s energy grid as Flex Alerts call for critical energy conservation.
Throughout the heatwave, California licensees and consumers have been asked to conserve energy by setting thermostats to 78 degrees or higher, avoiding using major appliances, and turning off unnecessary lights between the hours the Flex Alert calls for. What we’ve done so far has worked to keep the lights on.
We need everyone to continue energy saving efforts to decrease demand and ease the strain on the grid. The more power we save, the less likely outages are.
What to do before a Flex Alert:
- Pre-cool home by setting the thermostat.
- Use major appliances.
- Adjust blinds and drapes to cover windows.
- Make sure all electronics and portable power banks are charged.
What to do during a Flex Alert:
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or higher, if health permits.
- Use fans for cooling.
- Turn off all unnecessary lights.
- Unplug unused items.
- Avoid using major appliances.
Remember, your actions matter!
Whether you are a licensee or a consumer, we need everyone to do their part. As the dangerous heat persists, please continue to conserve energy. Sign up for Flex Alerts and learn more at flexalert.org.