One of the Department of Consumer Affairs’ most popular titles—The Small Claims Court: A Guide to Its Practical Use—has been recently updated and is available now for download!
Some people think going to court is difficult or frightening, but it doesn’t need to be. DCA’s handbook, written by DCA’s Legal Affairs Division, is designed to help anyone who is suing or being sued in small claims court, or deciding whether or not to file a case. Although your local small claims court clerk or small claims adviser should be your first go-to for questions, our guide is a handy backup. It includes:
- A glossary of legal terms.
- A checklist for plaintiffs and defendants.
- An explanation of what small claims court is and how to decide if it’s your best option.
- Factors to consider before filing.
- Resources for locating the party you’re filing against.
- Guidance on what to do if you’re the defendant.
It also contains advice on how to make the most of your day in court.
Get your copy here: http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/small_claims.pdf.