Covered California, the State’s health insurance marketplace, is reminding Californians who experience a life-changing event that they may be eligible to enroll in a health insurance plan outside of the Open Enrollment period.
During the Special Enrollment Period, Californians may be eligible to enroll in a health plan through Covered California if they experience a qualifying life event such as:
- Losing health coverage through their job.
- Income changes so dramatic that he or she becomes eligible or ineligible for help paying for his or her insurance.
- Turning 26 years old (a California resident is no longer eligible to stay on their parents’ plan).
- Moving from another state to California.
- Getting married or having a child.
After a qualifying life event, you have 60 days to enroll in a health plan through Covered California. Call (800) 300-1506 or click here for more information on Special Enrollment.