The mandate of the Respiratory Care Board (RCB) is to protect and serve the consumer by administering and enforcing the Respiratory Care Practice Act and its regulations in the interest of the safe practice of respiratory care. Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioners (RCPs) regularly perform critical lifesaving and life support procedures prescribed by physicians that directly affect major organs of the body. RCPs provide care directly to the patient in either a hospital setting or the patient’s home. Patients may be suffering from lung cancer, emphysema, asthma, or cystic fibrosis, or may be premature infants whose lungs have not yet fully developed. More than 44,000 RCP licenses have been issued in the State of California.
Mission: RCB’s mission is to protect and serve consumers by licensing qualified respiratory care practitioners, enforcing the provisions of the Respiratory Care Practice Act, expanding the availability of respiratory care services, increasing public awareness of the profession, and supporting the development and education of respiratory care practitioners.
Vision: The Board’s vision is that all California consumers are aware of the Respiratory Care profession and its licensing Board and receive competent and qualified respiratory care
- Ethical – Possession of the morals and values to make decisions with integrity that are consistent with the Board’s mandate and mission.
- Diversity – Recognize the rights of all individuals to mutual respect and acceptance of others without biases based on differences of any kind.
- Dignity – Conduct business honorably without compromise to the Board or individual values.
- Individual Growth – Strive to continually excel and learn both personally and professionally.
- Quality – Strive for superior service and products and meaningful actions in serving stakeholders.
- Flexibility – Provide sincere considerations of other interests, factors, and conditions and be willing and/or able to modify previous positions for the betterment of the Board, its mandate, and mission.
- Teamwork – Strive to work cooperatively and in a positive manner to reach common goals and objectives.
- Efficiency – Continually improve our system of service delivery through innovation, effective communication, and development, while being mindful of the time, costs, and expectations stakeholders have invested.
Visit RCB’s website at https://rcb.ca.gov.